Here are a dozen tips for sending a cover letter along with your résumé to a company you would like to work for. There is also a sample cover letter to guide you in getting the proper format of the letter.
- Study carefully the company you are applying to.
- Don’t send the same cover letter to each company you apply to.
- Custom-fit the letter to the specific job and company you’re writing to; specify the exact job you are applying for.
- Emphasize your skills and match them to the job description.
- State clearly why you are the best person for the job.
- Make it dynamic and exciting so the hiring manager clearly sees your qualities.
- Give specific examples of what you have accomplished.
- Say how you’ll make a difference to the company.
- Be assertive and ask for an interview.
- Use the traditional letter format I explained in the article on using appropriate writing style: Business Writing: Use appropriate writing style.
- Use bullet points with short punchy phrases to make it easy to read.
- Revise, edit and proofread the letter before you send it.
Sample cover letter
[Your name] (a)
[Your address] [City, State/Province, Zip/postal code]
[Your home phone] [Your cell number]
[Your email address]
Mr. / Ms. [First name] [Last name] (b)
[City, State/Province, Zip/postal code]
Dear Mr. / Ms. [Last name]: (c)
I am writing in response to the position of [job title] appearing in [ad source] on [ad date]. (d)
As I have stated in my enclosed résumé, I have a proven record of success in different management positions for one of the biggest manufacturers of health care products: [ABC company.] I enjoyed working in different positions within the company from product development to marketing and regulatory affairs. This past experience qualifies me for the position you have advertised. (e)
I am confident that I can:
- undertake effectively business development responsibilities.
- analyze markets, value new products, technologies and companies, and develop growth strategies.
- lead successfully cross-functional project teams. (f)
I would appreciate meeting you for an interview to show you how my qualifications and experience might match your needs. I look forward to speaking with you soon. (g)
[Your name] (h)
P.S. The vitality and talent you seek is just a phone call away - [your cell number] (i)
Encl.: résumé (j)
|a.||letterhead||Your contact information|
|b.||address||To whom you are sending the cover letter|
|c.||recipient's name||Address the cover to a particular person|
|d.||opening paragraph||Specifies the position you are applying for|
|e.||body||Describes your previous experience in relation to the position you are seeking|
|f.||unique selling proposition||States what you can accomplish|
|g.||call to action||Requesting a personal interview|
|h.||name and signature||Remember to sign your name|
|i.||postscript||Leave a final message underscoring your value|
|j.||enclosure||Include your résumé with the cover letter|